Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Japanese Fashion

The thing I love the most about Japan is the clothes they wear! I probably wouldn't wear 80% of it back home but it's uber-interesting to people watch here. I'm not sure why there is so much emphasis on style here but maybe it has to do with the fact that there are so many Asians that they really try to differentiate themselves a bit with what they wear. I'm not sure if that really sounds logical considering how collectivist Japanese society is but I will pass on further overanalysis for now.

The fashion that you would find in Tokyo is a little more dramatic than what you would find in other areas but for the most part they all follow the same sense of style, or so I have observed. This is something that one would commonly see in Otaru - where I am at:


One thing I find really amusing is that cell phone charms are really popular here. Standing on a train and seeing everyone on their phones with different cute charms makes me smile!

This is sweet.

I'm planning on spending 12 days in Tokyo after the semester ends in August and I really want to explore the Harajuku area for a good two or three days. Harajuku girls tend to dress like this:



Japanese hairstyles are also really creative. It's common to see a bun placed as high up on the head as possible - something that seems bizarre to Americans but probably makes Asian girls feel taller or something.




Alright sorry for the lackluster post. I was supposed to have my first Flower Arrangement club meeting today but it got cancelled. I think some international students are going out for all you can eat/drink again. Haven't decided if I will go - probably will though. It's supposed to be nice tomorrow so I'll probably head to a coffee house and study Japanese for a few hours there.



Bye!

3 comments:

Terry said...

Interesting post, don't you wished you won't have cut your hair now? As for the clothes, the tights are cut but the clown clothes are a bit much!

Natalie Michals said...

Wow that Harajaku is crazy! I like the accesories. Have you gone shopping for clothes yet? Is it a lot more expensive?
Love and Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hi!~
I like your blog. :D
I just want to comment on something you said:
"I'm not sure why there is so much emphasis on style here but maybe it has to do with the fact that there are so many Asians that they really try to differentiate themselves a bit with what they wear."
Oh no! I thought that was like saying, "There are so many white people in America, so they try to wear certain clothes to be different" or something like that.
Sorry, but it struck me as that way!
Good post, though! :DD !!

okok, byee~

Post a Comment